First Church Unitarian (fculittle.org) in Littleton, Massachusetts, seeks a caring and responsible Unitarian Universalist minister or candidate for the ministry to provide coverage during the four-month sabbatical of our settled minister Rev. Lara Hoke (mid-January through mid-May, 2024).The Sabbatical Minister will work in a half-time capacity serving this active congregation.
First Church Unitarian (FCU) is an engaged, loving congregation of 143 members located in the Boston suburbs. The mission of First Church Unitarian is to be a welcoming, compassionate, and diverse community, seeking spiritual growth and fellowship while working for a just, peaceable, and sustainable world.
This position offers a salary in compliance with UUA guidelines and commensurate with the qualifications of the applicant. The position will begin January 22, 2024 and end May 13, 2024. The Sabbatical Minister reports directly to the Standing Committee.
We anticipate this sabbatical period to be a rich time for our congregation and for our settled minister. We believe it can be for you, too. Don’t miss this opportunity to work with a vibrant church!
- Uphold and articulate UU values and FCU’s vision and mission within the congregation and wider community. As a reflection of our collective commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression work, it is important that the Sabbatical Minister share this commitment.
- Coordinate church leadership with our lay leaders and staff, attending monthly meetings of the Standing Committee, the Executive Committee and other committee meetings as needed.
- Provide six Sunday services over the course of the sabbatical period. Assist congregants in developing lay services, as needed.
- Coordinate and provide pastoral care in concert with our Lay Pastoral Ministry team.
- Facilitate and assist the congregation in fulfilling our goals for this sabbatical period as defined by the Deacons (the group responsible for the spiritual life of the congregation). The Charge to the Congregation is attached at the end of this document.
- Maintain communication within the church via office hours, newsletter articles, announcements at services, responding to emails and phone calls.
- Meet with and support congregants as needed.
- Be a resource for staff. Formal supervision of staff lies with the Standing Committee.
- Be a point of contact for potential new members.
The position requires working in partnership with the Standing Committee, the Deacons, the staff, and the congregation.
- prepare and present worship services.
- speak and write effectively.
- strong organizational, administrative and interpersonal abilities.
- high level of initiative, self-direction, flexibility and creativity in vision and ideas.
- UU identity & background, or a liberal religious perspective.
- Competence in the use of technology such as email, file sharing, Zoom, social media and some web site posting
Terms and Conditions
The Sabbatical Minister is expected to:
- work mid-January through mid-May, 2024.
- maintain the customary schedule for a Unitarian Universalist minister working half-time.
- be supervised by the Standing Committee.
- fulfill the Essential Functions above.
Compensation will include:
- Salary in compliance with UUA guidelines for a Church Size A congregation in Geo Index 5
- Additional services (e.g., memorials, weddings, etc.) to be compensated in accordance with the UUMA Schedule of Fees
Interested candidates should send a resume/C.V. and cover letter by November 1, 2023 to:
First Church Unitarian
19 Foster Street
Littleton, MA 01460
Attention: Sabbatical Team
For questions contact:
Rev. Jackie Clement
FCU Sabbatical Team
Sabbatical Charge for the Congregation
First Church Unitarian, Littleton MA
Following her sabbatical, we expect Rev. Lara to return refreshed and renewed in spirit. We, the congregation of First Church Unitarian, Littleton, pledge to meet her the same way, refreshed and renewed in both our commitment to our shared UU values and to each other..
We will pay attention to what is important in our church community: love, service, truth, and helping one another.
We will explore our UU values and principles, combine them with our skills and turn them into action.
We will seek connection with something greater than ourselves and bring our values-in-action outside of our walls and into the wider community.